Skin School: The Stratum Corneum Layer
Have you heard of the stratum corneum? This skin element is one of the most important your face has, and is a treasure to look after. The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the skin and serves as a protective barrier against external factors that can afflict the skin such as environmental pollutants, UV radiation, and bacteria.
Think of it as your prime defence layer against the external occupants that threaten to damage and age your skin on a daily basis.
This skin layer is composed of flattened, dead skin cells called corneocytes that are held together by a lipid matrix. Interesting what is just below the surface!
To keep your skin barrier strong, there are several steps you can take:
- Avoid harsh soaps and cleansers: Harsh soaps and cleansers can strip the skin of its natural oils, which can weaken the skin barrier. Use gentle, pH-balanced cleansers that are free of sulfates and other harsh ingredients.
- Moisturize regularly: Keeping the skin hydrated can help to strengthen the skin barrier. Look for moisturizers that contain ingredients like ceramides, cholesterol, and fatty acids, which can help to replenish the lipid matrix in the stratum corneum.
- Face cupping: By regularly stimulating the skins layers with the face cups you will be adding more hydration, collagen & blood flow to the stratum corneum. This in turns helps to keep this layer extra strong and healthy, and your defence barrier working in optimum to fight the signs of aging. We love the OBSIDO SKIN Facial Cup Duo to offer the best results.
- Protect your skin from the sun: UV radiation can damage the skin barrier and lead to premature aging. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and reapply every two hours.
- Use a humidifier: Low humidity can cause the skin to become dry and flaky, which can weaken the skin barrier. Using a humidifier can help to keep the air moist and prevent skin dehydration.
- Avoid over-exfoliating: Exfoliating can help to remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover, but over-exfoliating can damage the skin barrier. Limit exfoliation to once or twice a week, and use gentle exfoliants like alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs).
- We love to recommend a nice face spray to keep hydration at optiumum like the Wild Beauty Damascus Rose Face Hydrolate. Spray regularly throughout the day to help your skin stay hydrated and protected from pollutants.
Best product pack to look after your skin?
We love The Beauty Kits!
To really keep your stratum corneum layer strong, shop for The Beauty Tool Kit, featuring the Mini Gua Sha, the Large Facial Cup and the Velvet Mini Cup. Using these tools daily will amp up your skins health and strength.
By taking these steps, you can help to keep your skin barrier strong and healthy, which can lead to a more radiant and youthful-looking complexion.